Mathematics is a powerful subject which has its own unique place in the curriculum at St. Catherine’s. It provides learners with powerful ways to describe, analyse and change the world. Children can experience a sense of awe and wonder as they solve a problem for the first time, discover a more efficient solution and make links between different areas of mathematics.
Mathematics is the means of looking at the patterns that make up our world and the intricate and beautiful ways in which they are constructed and realised. The language of mathematics is international. The subject crosses cultural boundaries and its importance is universally recognised. Mathematics helps us to understand and change the world.
Mathematics makes a significant contribution to modern society;
- the basic skills of mathematics are vital for the life opportunities of our children;
- mathematics develops the mind and those highly valued cognitive skills.
Learners at St. Catherine’s study mathematics to become functioning adults who are able to think.
- We foster positive attitudes, fascination and excitement of discovery through the teaching and learning of mathematical concepts.
- We aim for our children to develop a ‘can do’ attitude and perceive themselves as mathematicians.
- We wish to broaden children’s knowledge and understanding of how mathematics is used in the wider world.
- We provide opportunities for our children to use and understand mathematical language and recognise its importance as a language for communication and thinking.
Times Tables Rock Stars
All our pupils have a log in for times tables rock stars.
This is an internet based application which helps the children to learn their times tables through practice and repetition. This is done through a game where they compete against themselves to improve their scores and times.
The link below takes to the pupil log in page.